Thursday 25 July 2019

Turn off the lights

The decision on an offline A27 between Lewes and Polegate now (barring a snap election) rests with new Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.

Grant, a qualified pilot with experience of simulation, likes cars. In 2004 he wrote in an advertising leaflet for one of his business brochures “That’s me… and I’m sitting in my brand-spanking-new Crossfire Convertible 3.2L (delivered Saturday July 24). It’s one of the first dozen on the road here in the UK.”  He went on that the car came “complete with in-car DVD, SatNav and just about every other refinement you could imagine in a vehicle. Why it even has a fridge!”

A picture of Grant and his son was captioned "Everyone needs a hobby. Mine’s flying. But buying and maintaining an aircraft (and this is my second machine) isn’t cheap! “But I just hate to rent… So I took out my pocket-book and bought a plane. That’s me and my son in the cockpit. (One of us is a three-year-old with a passion for flying :)”

He's set up something called the British Infrastructure Group, and in 2016 issued a report called "We're Jammin'". Here's an example of Shapps' clear thinking putting motorists first.

"This report urges local authorities to call time on installing increasing numbers of traffic control measures without first considering the wider impact. It is clear that rather than speeding up journeys, they are slowing them down. Removing many of these controls, particularly traffic lights, would go a long way to making road travel more efficient and better for the economy and saving individual motorists money."



No comments:

Post a Comment